The application period for Summer 2017 program is closed. All participants have been selected. Thank you for your interest in our program.
Before application, please make sure you understand the commitment of being part of the program. By applying, you agree to the following responsibilities.
- Make a full-time commitment to the REU Program and to their research project. Employment outside of the REU Program is not allowed. You need to spend 40 hours per week in a research lab for the whole duration of the program (10 weeks, May 22 – July 28, 2017).
- Present research project and findings at the research symposiums. Submit research abstracts to BMES conference in the same year and attend the conference if accepted.
- Be a responsible and conscientious visiting scholar. Conduct that infringes upon the rights of others to an orderly living environment or that poses danger to self or others is not acceptable under any circumstances.
- Adhere to all UGA policies and Georgia state laws.
- Not register for any classes during the REU summer session, as it would conflict with your research experience. However, we encourage you to explore receiving independent study credit for your REU participation at your home institution.
Available projects. Click here to see the list of projects for Summer 2017.
Eligibility. To participate in the NanoBio REU Site @ UGA, you must be planning to return to an undergraduate degree program in the subsequent fall. Particularly, you must not have graduated in the year of the program. Additionally, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Application instructions. To apply to the NanoBio REU Site @ UGA:
- Complete the Application Form online by Sunday, February 19, 2017 by 5 PM EST.
- Provide contact information of two references in your online application. We will request reference letters from them. These two letters should be come from someone in your current or previous institutions, and should provide information on your research capability and reasons why you are a good fit for this program.
- The reference letters are due on Wednesday, March 1, 2017 by 5pm EST. Your references will receive an email request to submit their letters, after you submit your online application. Please give your references plenty of time to prepare and send their letters.
- If you have any questions about the application or the program, please contact email@example.com.
Applications by students of women, underrepresented minorities (African Americans, Hispanics, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders), and/or majoring in engineering and biomedical sciences, particularly those from academic institutions where research opportunities are limited are especially encouraged.
Selection Criteria. Applicants will be ranked based upon three merit categories: (1) Clarity of the student’s short answers; (2) Overall quality of the student based on recommendation letters and academics; (3) Faculty input regarding the match with the research projects.